Sunday, May 23, 2010

Creativity and Individuality

How do the assignments you give offer students the opportunity to express their creativity and individuality?
 As an English teacher, one of my major PURPOSES is to cultivate individuality and creativity! I express this to my students very clearly. "You need to know how to read and write so that you can express your own opinions about those topics that have created global, timeless conversation!" Without knowing how the express themselves, students (humans!) can get themselves into deep trouble and live very mundane, shallow live. We can go on believing falsehood in religion that have been told to us by corrupt leaders, we can live under a government without ever having the credibility to write change into our system, we can "tend our flock" without any deeper thought! It is vital that students move on from my class knowing how to write their opinions with respect and credibility or not move on at all. I want my students to know that they are not taking this English class because we want to keep them busy for this hour, but because we are aiming to equip them with skills that may defend their rights, give them credibility, allow them to enjoy the conversations that span geography and time! In all of my writing and reading assignment I challenge my students to develop their own opinions and learn how to support them.

1 comment:

  1. I have seen the quality of some of your assignments and classroom discussions, and I believe that you are giving students the opportunity to express themselves in a variety of ways. Your discussions, particularly around the novels that the class has read, demonstrate your desire to teach your students to think critically.

    ReplyDelete