Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Tardy Policy & Recognition

If a student is consistently late to your class, how would you handle the situation?
I've had one student that is consistently late to class. Thankfully the school I am student teaching at has a policy for tardies. When students are tardy too many times they are required to serve “hours” in after-school or Saturday sessions. I mentioned to this student that I've noticed he's late to class almost everyday. I gave him the opportunity to share with me why he is always late. He said he's usually talking with another teacher or trying to finish work. I explained to him that he's missing out of opening instructions when he is late. Lately he has tried harder to be on time. Whenever he gets their on time, he announces it to me and whenever he's late he apologizes and gets right to work. I think after that conversation he realized that I noticed and was disappointed. Now, I think, he is trying not to disappoint me by making effort to be on time. I think conversations like this really impact students.

When I have my own class, I want to implement a routine for tardies. When students walk in late I want them to “sign in” on the tardy log. (includes their name, date, minutes late) If they have a pass I want them to put it into the sleeve of the binder that holds the tardy log. If they have more than one tardy in a week I will notify their parents. This sounds strict, but I want my students to know that I value the time that they spend in our classroom. I want them to take the time seriously (because I do, and I respect the time they invest here).

How do you give your students recognition? Do you think a student can have too much recognition?
I like the idea of posting “good work” all around the classroom walls. Even the work of the student that has recently improved, I staple to the walls. Students pay attentions to what is on the walls and often ask, “Who did this one?” I also make conscious effort to compliment students who answer questions correctly during class discussions. I've even told a few of my students who are failing in class, “Lately I've been really impressed by your answers! You've really helped the class out by participating!”

I'm not sure if any student can have too much recognition. I think that when a teach focuses on a few students and allows the “good students” to always answer, the other students are not benefiting from the student-teacher interaction as much as they ought. But I also believe that most students are told that they are “too young,” “bad,” and “irresponsible” more than they are complimented. Most of our students need to learn from us that we believe they CAN be responsible, well behaved, young adults.

1 comment:

  1. great job on the tardy student. It is always important to get to the root of the problem and establish a connection. If a student sees that you care, then they will care to get things done for you.
    I agree that all students need the opportunity to participate in class discussions. Wait time is very helpful- let the student's know that you will call on them after a couple of seconds and when you see more hands up. Another method of getting other students to answer is to use "equity cards/sticks" to randomly call on students to answer. It sounds like you are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete